Saturday, April 9, 2011

HD2 -> HD7

Sounds interesting! Finally few months of waiting and research, I've decided to try to flash my HD2 to LEO70 Rom, which is firstly developed by DFT and published on XDA Forum by HD2Owner. Few hours ago, I've tried version 1.03, and now I'm using the latest version 1.04. Basically I just choose this rom randomly, as there're still some different rom out there. Anyway, just try my luck.

But it isn't really just TRY, it will totally format my SD card, ie. all memory will be gone, and, my WinMo 6.5 Energy Rom will be gone too. I need to back up all the contacts, but its okay, I always did it. Just that if I want to go back to 6.5, I need to re-install and re-setting all the stuff inside.

These will really take me lots of time, as I want it to be perfect all the time... Haha! That is why I'm not dare to flash new rom. But my 6.5 memory is getting low and I don't know why, maybe the dump memory and files are getting more, so I've decided to format it, hence, I flash it.

Just in case, I use another SD card to try out Windows Phone 7 rom. Don't forget I still have Android MCCM HD V4.0 Desire HD rom on the other hand, I'll still need it. My extra SD card is only a 2GB card. WP7 is very choosy about the SD card being used, but luckily my 2GB old SD card still works like a charm in WP7. In fact, it is really smooth!

So I read through as many articles as I can before flashing it to WP7. Installation guide is easy. Developers seem have provided everything. Firstly, just plug in my HD2 in 6.5 through USB Active Sync connection, then install MAGLDR and LEO70. The process is very fast too! (Sorry I'm not providing the step-by-step guide, the guides are everywhere so just google it~)

Installation of DWT.exe (LEO70)

The computer's side. DFT!

So after the whole process finish (about few minutes), my HD2 reboots with original Energy start-up screen, then it will automatically booted into MAGLDR for couples of seconds. And, here it goes! HTC boot screen, and Windows Phone Logo!



I'm really excited when I see this! Yey, Windows Phone 7 is started! I almost shouted and jumped at room, but my roommate was sleeping la... hahahah!

HD2 T8585 -> HD7 T9292


Of course there're still some settings to be done...


So, finally I've booted my HD2 into HD7. Err, not really HD7 because it is LEO70 build, a Windows Phone 7 rom. Until now, I've used it around 20 hours, less than a day. There're of course some problem still. Some are the problem of HD2-ported-rom itself, and some are the cons of WP7. The main problem is the bad camera. It has no autofocus, the settings are very very little and limited. There're green tint if using flash to capture photos. And overall the colour tone of image produced are blur and not sharp. 5MP camera is totally spoilt. BUT, the video camera is getting me a big surprise! It can record 720P video like a charm, quite smooth too. Continuous auto focus is there, just that it is a bit dark, but I think it is normal for a phone. The video camera has done its part, hehe..

The key mapping of the physical buttons are quite weird. I keep on pressing the wrong buttons and it ends up going here and there, Bing Search and IE. Errrm. The volume is too loud although I've set it to be 1 over 30. Wow, but I guess it is way better than the volume is too low then. So, the sound/speaker quality is not that inspiring too.

No marketplace access. It prompts me to insert an Windows Live activation code which I don't have. Sigh. I must get one from Microsoft to get it works. Same for the Hotmail synchronizing, XBox services, Live services. I'm still on the way to figure out how to install the signed XAP application files which I have downloaded, as I have no access to Marketplace to download new and useful apps and games.

Overall the OS and UI is really smooth and simple. It can be said as limited too, too few things on a phone, compared to its older production like WinMo 6.5 (which has too much things on a phone). The tiles homescreen design is indeed very intuitive and user friendly. I love the sweep my fingers left and right to view more. It responds very fast as I simply touch or press buttons, big thumb!

From idle to wake up, I just need to press Power button once, it responds very fast too, unlike in the Android builds. The transition animation is nice, the theme can be changed into different colours to avoid bore. The Zune player, the music+video gallery are new and I love browsing my media and music library using it. People Hub gathers all the contacts from my email accounts, and Facebook accounts too, they links it all.

Another thing that I just learn is how to use Zune. I have to install this to build a connection between the phone and computer. After few trial (how noob am I...), I finally know how to use it to transfer all my media files among my HD2/7 and my computer, including photos, videos, and music.

Hope that battery drainage won't be serious on my phone. Haha. Otherwise, I really enjoy it! Thanks for all the guides on XDA forum and Youtube of course. Hahaha...

1 comment: